Eureka

As with anything, the toughest part is the first step.  I have been wanting to start a blog for a year.  The topics have varied: food, family, architecture, the arts.  At the end of the day, I need a repository for my thoughts during this period of transition.  After 20 years working in architecture and design, I became the mother of twin girls three years ago.  Since then, I have had many ideas about how to remain engaged:  I went back to work part-time, I organized a series of food events, and I started doing some consulting work in the architectural realm.  Through all this I continue to do yoga and parent!

When I dream big, I always think I want to be an expert.  I want to know as much as anyone else on a single topic - to be the go-to gal.  Maybe I even end up some night on the News Hour answering questions!  It may not even matter what the topic is, but this late in life, it probably makes sense to leverage my knowledge to date!  Her's my latest thinking...

I love architecture and design, but am not interested in actually designing anything anymore.  I am more interested in how great architecture gets built.  Realizing a fabulous piece of architecture or design is a herculean task.  It requires great vision and great resources.  Having a clear vision is the work of a great leader, but getting it built is the work of a committed community.  This is a fascinating puzzle - no two projects are alike.  Who envisions it?  Who pays for it?  Who gets it done?

At the start of last year, I had the opportunity to do some work for a large, private university.  I consulted with new dean of the arts college helping him to understand his facilities, including: a mainstage theatre; black box theaters; a concert hall; rehearsal rooms; movement studios; painting, printmaking, and sculpture studios; classrooms; and gallery spaces.  The highlight of the work was a benchmarking study  that evaluated peer and aspirational institutions.  I had the opportunity to interview faculty, administrators, and tour a large number of university facilities.  One thing is clear,  innovative architecture is alive and well on college campuses.  
EMPAC Rensellaer Polytech

Brown Granoff Center





What's going on here?  How do great buildings built?  Eureka...here is a topic I would love to master!

Comments