Companions

I started painting portraits more than a year ago. I felt like I achieved a certain "likeness," but not the mood and character I desired. I decided to switch to oil paint. I embarked on a class last fall with Catherine Kehoe at Mass Art. While it was full of wonderful instruction and a very clear process, I struggled to keep up, barely able to handle the new medium! Yikes, poor judgement.

I stopped painting for months. Finally, I got back to work, setting Catherine's process aside, adopting some more conventional strategies, including an online course that promoted traditional blending and grey scale underpainting. Ultimately, I re-enrolled with the very talented Catherine Graffam at the New Art Center. It turns out that this was the right place for me all along. Now, that I am working successfully in oils and I feel better equipped to keep up.

I am painting again...joyfully, regularly, and productively! I have committed to finishing the many portraits that I started and abandoned last fall. And, most exciting, I have decided to create a new abstract companion piece for each portrait. I have no idea what these will look like, but I ordered some oil sticks! Finally, a plan that feels good!!

Here is an in progress example...


Comments