Another Art Walk: No More





I initially declined to participate in this year's Wellesley Woman Artisans Art Walk. I knew that I had not really been "working," i.e. painting or making art, and I figured it would be an unnecessary stress. That said, I work well under pressure, so I ultimately gave in. 

We had a Special Town Meeting this November that consumed a handful of my free evenings. Many of the female Town Meeting Members busy their idle hands with knitting during the proceedings. I opted to bring acrylic markers and a box of craft paper Christmas ornaments, and I got to work. Thus, the Town Meeting Collection was born.

I had so much fun. I doodled with various pen weights in white, black, gold, orange and blue. I replicated ancient patterns, I invented new patterns and I created whimsical doodles. When Town Meeting was over, I continued in front of the television or while listening to music. It was all very therapeutic. That is, until the day of the sale.

Suddenly, I realized that I had zero interest in actually "selling" these little studies. I did them for myself. While I was happy to give them away as gifts, and thrilled when others appreciated them, I am long past the craft sale model. I just cannot stand there and make small talk about the creative process only to have friends feel obligated to drop $20 on an ornament they do not need. 

My biggest creative challenge is getting myself to work without a deadline looming. I need a defined project. Hmmm...what's next, The January Paintings?




Comments