Creativity at Every Turn

I am happy to report that it is true, perseverance pays off. I have not really had much time since the New Year for painting and personal projects, but I will say that it feels like there is a lot going on. After taking a very mediocre painting class with my friends Lisa and Barb in the winter, Barb and I found one much class for the spring. I thought I had no interest in painting still life scenes and landscapes, but somehow Ruth, our teacher, has pulled something good out of me. We paint exclusively with a palette knife and the expectation is to use very literal colors.

Palette Knife Painting / Week 1

Palette Knife Painting / Week 3




















I feel like maybe landscapes are actually the perfect vehicle for me to explore composition, color and paint texture. Stay tuned….I am going on a 2 day retreat in a few weeks and I am hoping to explore more.

The earlier "abstract" class was really an open studio and provided no constraints, or instruction. I am a big believer that it is only with constraints that we actually discover and innovate. Otherwise, it's just play, as demonstrated below. These felt like a big struggle and the end is unclear.

Abstract Class / Week 3
(I've since painted over this!)
Abstract Class / Week 4
(I Like bits of this, but…)





















I'll keep trying... 



Comments