Back in the Groove

I had a wonderful summer, with long trips to Martha's Vineyard and Maine. Perhaps my two favorite places. As my husband Jim is still not working, we had more family time than we have ever had. We spent two weeks on the Vineyard with no urgent conference calls or distractions. The big accomplishment of the summer…loosing the training wheels.

As much fun as all this was, I have been at a loss for my own creativity and mental space. I did several painting classes at the New Art Center in Newton. The process with cathartic and inspiring, but the results disappointing. I managed to loosen up, to loose the rigid inner architect, but I was not inspired by the product. One afternoon, I came to class to discover we were painting a male model. I was happy that I could manage, but as Leila told me last night, "It's kind of boring to look at."
Man on a Stool in Imaginary Interior / July 2014

In Maine, I visited the Star Gallery in Northeast Harbor. The featured artist was Robert Neuman. I LOVED his work. I cannot explain my reaction except to say it is happy and beautiful! Here are a few examples….




Finally, this past weekend, I felt called back to my own thing. The center painting above was my inspiration. I am quite happy with the result, and inspired to keep it going. The funny thing is that Piper's obsession with rainbows, a typical six year old theme, seems to have taken root in my subconscious. You may be seeing more of these…





Comments